NSW Pay Employer Back for the Course Under Employment Law?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

MaxRom

19 October 2016
Hi, I am a German backpacker and I worked in construction. My plan was to work for 4 weeks, but the employer said it's better for me if I am doing an Asbestos Removal Course for 200$. He said he would pay the course but then I should stay for minimum 6 weeks.

I did the course and went on with work. Day by day, he treated me badly and didn't give me enough work, although there was work, but he ignored me. So to sum up, he hated me. I didnt know why. So I decided to leave him because I want to work, earn money and work in a better atmosphere.

Now I left him and he wants me to pay for the course he paid because I didn't stay for 6 weeks, only 2. I worked casually for 25$/hr. I didn't sign anything except the document for the tax.

Do I have to pay for the course because I left? What happens if I ignore the bill? Is he acting right or wrong? Maybe you know more about employment law and my rights and things like that.

Thanks!

Kind regards

S

Sophea

Even in the absence of a written agreement, you would still be bound by an oral contract. However in the circumstances, I don't think your employer is going to waste time or money chasing you around the country or taking you to court over $200.