VIC Paternity testing family law interstate paternity testing

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Graceie5679

4 August 2018
I am being taken to court for a paternity test , the lady has a 4 year old child and she is claiming the child is mine . I am concerned as I'm married and have children to my wife who are adults. Is there any way out of this?.the lady didn't put my name on the birth certificate of the child she left it blank. The lady is interstate and I have no contact with her and have never met the child. If I'm forced to do this test and its mine what happens as my financial is in mine and my wife's account . Help how to get out of this ,.....,........ ....., ...................................................

sammy01

27 September 2015
ok, so if you're ordered to do the test, do the test.... If it comes back positive then she will apply to the child support agency.... They will take a chunk of money from your pay for the next 18 years. HOW MUCH? Don't know but call them and ask the to run a rough estimate based on a hypothetical where you have 0 nights care for the kid, you earn $???? and the mum earns $25 000 - just as a rough estimate.

Have you recieved a letter from her solicitor? I reckon you ought to just agree to do the test, you can fight it through the courts BUT if you are the dad... Well mum could get a cost order against you for her expenses in taking this to court...

I know you came here asking for help to get you outa this, but that horse has bolted.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Depending on how concerned you are (ie save marriage) it may be necessary to get some legal help.

It is possible to challenge/appeal the court order in some circumstances but see a family lawyer.

Graceie5679

4 August 2018
ok, so if you're ordered to do the test, do the test.... If it comes back positive then she will apply to the child support agency.... They will take a chunk of money from your pay for the next 18 years. HOW MUCH? Don't know but call them and ask the to run a rough estimate based on a hypothetical where you have 0 nights care for the kid, you earn $???? and the mum earns $25 000 - just as a rough estimate.

Have you recieved a letter from her solicitor? I reckon you ought to just agree to do the test, you can fight it through the courts BUT if you are the dad... Well mum could get a cost order against you for her expenses in taking this to court...

I know you came here asking for help to get you outa this, but that horse has bolted.
How can I get out of a DNA test in front of a judge

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
This a question you ask a family lawyer.

Go in with your facts and get proper advice. It can get messy if you are trying to hide an affair from your wife.

One of the first sets of questions likely to be asked is if you've ever met this person, and if yes, under what circumstances, and did you ever have sexual relations with this person.

If the answer to the last question is yes, the task is much harder.

Reactions: Graceie5679