NSW Paternity testing from father

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sarahsyd

7 November 2018
The father of my five year old daughter has denied my child and hasn't even met my child, 3 years ago I started a case with a lawyer for him to undergo paternity testing, he kept writing back to my lawyer saying he has never had sex with me, that he would text and threaten me if I proceeded with the testing. He finally went to court this year and admitted the truth that he had sex with me, he agreed to a test and the judge placed orders on him for a test, however we have a court case comming up this month and my lawyers haven't been contacted and he hasn't even done the test. If on the court case he hasn't done it as orderd what will happen or what is likely to happen

sammy01

27 September 2015
what is likely to happen? Don't know, but the magistrate has a range of options including making a cost order against dad or simply determining that he is the father because he has refused to do the necessary things to demonstrate that he is not the father.
Magistrate could also adjourn the matter to give the guy another chance to do the test.
Please get back to us and let us know how it goes.

Sarahsyd

7 November 2018
what is likely to happen? Don't know, but the magistrate has a range of options including making a cost order against dad or simply determining that he is the father because he has refused to do the necessary things to demonstrate that he is not the father.
Magistrate could also adjourn the matter to give the guy another chance to do the test.
Thanks for your kind and true words, this process has been stressful and has cost a fortune I will definitely let you know how I went, are you a lawyer

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
If the test was court ordered and not undertaken, then push for an order saying he is the father and go straight to CSA with your order and start the ball rolling with child support.

The judge may adjourn the decision if the guy comes up with a good excuse, but deal with the matter then.

Might be worth a call to CSA anyway to see if they can take an application now rather than wait till the court order. CSA generally don't back date child support so there's a possible benefit to applying now if they will accept it.

Sarahsyd

7 November 2018
If the test was court ordered and not undertaken, then push for an order saying he is the father and go straight to CSA with your order and start the ball rolling with child support.

The judge may adjourn the decision if the guy comes up with a good excuse, but deal with the matter then.

Might be worth a call to CSA anyway to see if they can take an application now rather than wait till the court order. CSA generally don't back date child support so there's a possible benefit to applying now if they will accept it.
Thanks and yes the test has been court orderd he has 2 more weeks to do it