QLD Parking fine at the Gold Coast

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Bofi

23 September 2017
hi there, recently I received a parking fine at the Gold Coast for staying over the 2 hour period, even I paid another 2 hour car parking period, however I did not move the car. I have written to the Gold cost City Council and they said that I didn't move my car and only two hours parking is allowed.
So here is my question. Nowhere it states (no sign) that you have to remove your car if you want to park more than the allocated first two hours. I have paid for the first two hours and then another two hours. If I had known I would have moved my car but this information isn't anywhere to be seen. So the Gold Coast council rejected my claim and asks me to pay the fine or dispute it in court. What my legal rights regarding this matter. Thank you

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Section 105(2) of the Transport Operations (Road Use Management) Act 1995 provides:

"A person may park a vehicle in a designated parking space during the fixed hours only if ... the person does not park the vehicle in the space for longer than the maximum time indicated on the official traffic sign installed in relation to the space."

Unfortunately, ignorance of the law is not a valid defence.

Reactions: Tim W

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
What my legal rights regarding this matter. Thank you
Your choices are
  • pay the fine and move on with your life; or
  • court-elect (assuming you are still within time to do so), and
    be very likely lose, and have to pay the fine, and the court costs
I agree with @Rob Legat - SBPL's comments above.
You're nowhere, and you've got nothing.
Pay the fine and make this all be over.

Reactions: Rob Legat - SBPL