QLD Gold Coast Parking Fine - The Right to Evidence Disclosure?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

jimmy54

30 March 2016
Hi everyone,

My question relates to Gold Coast City Parking fines.

Basically, I had paid for my street parking but had gone 12 minutes over and therefore, was fined for overstaying the time specified. I acknowledged this and paid for that fine. However, my issue is that I was also fined consecutively for "007 - Park vehicle in a parking space unless the person has done what is required by an authorised system for that space".

Apart from making no sense in the english language, I also didn't understand exactly what I was being charged with allegedly doing, so I called up and was told I was not parked correctly. I responded with the online request submission that I was parked legally and correctly; therefore the only fine I have which I paid was the overstaying the time specified.

I asked for photographic evidence in the review to clearly show I was not parked correctly because it's well-known in Australia that parking officers have a quota for fines.

Well behold! Now I received my response that I was apparently not parked in the correct bay even though they refused to include any photographic evidence.

Could someone please explain whether the council can refuse to give me photographic evidence in regards to the right to evidence disclosure for myself (the defence), and secondly without photographic evidence, doesn't this mean the council's parking claim has zero evidence to prove I was not parked in the correct bay when it comes to a court hearing?

Many Thanks

Clancy

6 April 2016
That is a bit weird... they fined you for overstaying your parking spot, so in that sense they have admitted you were 'parked'. Then fined you for not being parked there! hahahaha

Well, it's not very logical or fair but they can probably do it because they will have lots of clauses up the wazoo to make sure of it.

Adam1user

5 January 2018
If you already paid it, then it is no use to do anything now, just a lesson to learn.
But if you still have not paid the fine and you have your first parking ticket, then it may be worth to go to court and dispute it. Agree on the fine for the extended time but not for the other fine, see how you go. You may even get out of the first one, if the magistrate is in a good mood, 12 minutes is nothing, as you have no previous issues or fines (good driving record).