QLD No parking sign nearby

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Gizmo123

19 February 2019
I visited the Gold Coast recently and received a parking fine for 'continuously parking longer than indicated on a permissive parking sign'. There were no signs in the area to indicate parking restrictions for that area. I appealed the fine via an email to the Gold Coast Council. My appeal was rejected on the grounds that there are signs in other places to advise 3 hour parking restrictions operating in the area in general. I didn't see any of these signs as I was just trying to navigate the busy traffic and pedestrians etc.

I was wondering whether to appeal the fine through the courts but not sure what chance I would have.

Adam1user

5 January 2018
I visited the Gold Coast recently and received a parking fine for 'continuously parking longer than indicated on a permissive parking sign'. There were no signs in the area to indicate parking restrictions for that area. I appealed the fine via an email to the Gold Coast Council. My appeal was rejected on the grounds that there are signs in other places to advise 3 hour parking restrictions operating in the area in general. I didn't see any of these signs as I was just trying to navigate the busy traffic and pedestrians etc.

I was wondering whether to appeal the fine through the courts but not sure what chance I would have.

Based on what you wrote, and depending on where the other signs are, you have a chance, if the other signs were in your sight, let's say as you pass them to reach the destination where you parked, then that is it, you don't have a chance, but if the signs were in other direction, you may argue that you are not from that area and visiting and were not aware of the time limit as there were no signs. So that can be your way out, but you need to think about the time and travel cost to attend court, is that worth it? you may be paying more than fine itself. If you can handle it without traveling, that would be to your advantage.

Reactions: Gizmo123