VIC Parents won't supply birth certificate and have no I.D

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

pieterv3814

29 July 2021
Hello everyone, I have a very unusual situation and I'm not sure how to go about sorting it out. My partner and I have had a baby, however my partner's parents won't give her birth certificate to her. As a consequence to that she hasn't got any form of I.D, hasn't got Medicare and so forth. This has left us with a $30,000 medical bill from the hospital and no way to pay it off with only 1 income. She really want stop work but she can't get a tax file number, bank account or anything she needs to get her life sorted. Her parents said 12 months ago they ordered her birth certificate but there is no sign of it and they can't show us proof they have actually ordered it. I'm all out of ideas as to how I should move forward with this. We want to get out of there house as soon as possible but we can't at the moment. What is our best way of fixing this situation, and talking to them is out of the picture now as they won't listen. Any help would be greatly appreciated as we're both really struggling at the moment. Thank you

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Whose birth certificate is being withheld?
That of the mother, or that of the baby?

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Why hasn't your wife written to the births registry herself? She should have records from school that can assist.

Also, take the required form to her parents, have them fill in their details and you take a secure copy and send the form off yourself.

pieterv3814

29 July 2021
Why hasn't your wife written to the births registry herself? She should have records from school that can assist.

Also, take the required form to her parents, have them fill in their details and you take a secure copy and send the form off yourself.
She's tried. In order for them to do anything she still needs to prove her identification which she cannot do because she has no I.D from having no access to her birth certificate.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
How old are dad and mum here?

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
We are missing important information,

Suggest you give our office a call to work through the missing bits of information.

Reactions: Bananatree

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney