VIC Request for father to sign birth certificate

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Chino

16 August 2017
So in a nutshell - I am uncertain if a baby is mine. The ex partner wants sole parental responsibility either way, which I would be happy to provide whether the child is mine or not. If the child is mine, I would be happy to be involved, give money, help with school fees, etc, but don't want to burden the mother with having to sign for passports, etc etc.

She sent me a birth registration form to sign. On advice from lawyers, I did not sign it. I am unable to see the child, and have no confirmation it is mine. I understand she may have put 2 names on the form as opposed to just her own as it is a requirement to get sole parental responsibility down the track, but I am not sure as to the actual reason.

I've since got a letter in the mail from BDM asking me to explain why I did not sign the birth certificate. What are the consequences for telling the truth and what is likely to happen? The truth being I do not know if the child is mine, I can't confirm it without asking for paternity (which she doesn't really want to get anyway, as I mentioned it once and she got angry at the thought that I was even doubting it was mine), but I am happy to give her sole parental responsibility anyway.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Well, the thing is, if the kid isn't yours, you can't make an agreement that she have sole parental responsibility. So, if you don't sign the birth certificate, mum can bring you to Court for a paternity test so that she can actually get sole parental responsibility, and if you are the father, then you'll be liable for child support. If you aren't the father, mum will need to nominate another eligible bachelor from her past and start the process again, while you're off the hook.

If you do sign it, you avoid the rigmorale for both you and her, but you will again be liable for child support and can have a say about parental responsibility.

If your lawyer told you not to sign, then don't. Tell BDM that you don't believe the baby is yours and that proceedings are under way to determine paternity.

Chino

16 August 2017
What are her options if I dont sign, if she wants sole responsibility? Can she take my name off the certificate and nominate no one? Can she opt not to have a paternity test? If she does not want to bring me to court for a paternity test, are there any other ways for her to get sole responsibility or will every application for medicare/passport, etc, have to go through centrelink?

More importantly, on the last point - if proceedings are under way to determine paternity, courts wouldn't then force the issue, would they? Would they just wait?