VIC Owning my own business while working full time?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

mdeqwerty

9 August 2021
Hi all,

Hoping to get some help on a question I have about a term in my employment contract.

I have signed an employment contract which is due to start early next year, and one term states: "during your employment with the Company you must not, without first obtaining the Company’s prior written consent, engage in any employment or provide any services to anyone other than the Company, including external directorships".

If I were to start an ecommerce business and register as a sole trader, would that count as "engaging in employment or providing services to anyone other than the company"? If so, does that mean I have to let HR know before I begin next year?

Also not sure if state is relevant here, but the company is a US company with its Australian subsidiary headquarters in Sydney and I will be working in their Melbourne office.

Thanks!

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Almost certainly.

neomahauck

8 October 2021
I consider this activity is not considered work for hire because you work as a sole proprietor for yourself.

neomahauck

8 October 2021
I consider this activity is not considered work for hire because you work as a sole proprietor for yourself.
Perhaps this activity could be classified as providing services. If you're worried that your employer will fire you if he finds out about this, it's best to let Human Resources know in advance. In the meantime, I think you need to grow your e-commerce business. Get your ecommerce infrastructure set up and promote your business. Then maybe you won't have to travel there for work. Working in your own business rather than another firm has always been preferable.