Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jake Myers

3 September 2019
Perth, WA
www.risefit.com.au
I became aware of an outstanding credit card debt from 2014 that I truly thought had been paid off. I had found myself in a difficult financial situation towards the end of 2014 with a few outstanding debts.

I had a very good friend come to my rescue at the time and generously agreed to pay them all off for me which he did.

I have since lost contact with my friend and am unable to contact him. I had about 4 or 5 debts that were clear by him and have found records of the deposits into the various debts in statements that I had kept.

Then recently I was contacted by Panthera Finance claiming that I had am outstanding debt that was required to be paid. I went back through all my records/statements and could not find any default notice sent to me from the credit company or any further communication since October 2014. I talked to a person from the debt collection agency on the phone and told them that I had paid the debt off and that they were mistaken.

A person visited my home and gave my housemate a summons for me from the Perths Magistrates court which I believed to be a fake as it said that my last deposit into the account was 2016, which was certainly untrue. I received further communication from Panthera referring to my summons to the Magistrate in Victoria. I ignored the summons and have now received a card from Baycorp at my front door.

I am unable to contact my friend to provide me with evidence of him paying the debt off. What should I do?