NSW Husband Married Another Woman - Possible to Cancel Permanent Residency?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Vikram

23 November 2015
I want to know how the department can cancel my partner's Australian permanent residency.

My partner was a secondary applicant in my Permanent Residency file. After getting the Permanent Residency with me, he went to India and get married another girl.

I was used by him just to get Australian permanent residency. How can his Permanent Residency be cancelled under Immigration Law?

Now I also want to get a divorce as he is not a trustworthy person.

Regards.

Therese

11 October 2015
Hi Vikram,

If your marriage has broken down it is my understanding you should contact the Department of Immigration and Border Protection as soon as possible.

They will conduct an investigation into the situation and if they discover the change of circumstances are real and that therefore there is false information on his application, they may be able to cancel his Permanent Resident in Australia.

If you have further questions about how to proceed I would suggest getting in contact with a Migration Agent, they will be able to give you personalised advice. See Get Connected with the Right Lawyer for You.

Vikram

23 November 2015
Dear Sir,

I got one photograph of my husband with his second wife. Can it be produced as an evidence or not? After getting a PR with me, he is now in India living with his second wife before the divorce with me.
I want to know what action the immigration can take against him. Is this a matter for only family court or immigration, too?

I am going through a very tough time because this person married me just to get Australian PR and after getting PR, has married another woman.

Please guide me about my situation.

Regards

Therese

11 October 2015
Hi Vikram,

any evidence you have will be useful to your case.

I would suggest getting legal advice to see which court is the best to pursue it through.