SA Old Drugs Possession Charge on Police Check - Impact on Career?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

stylewalls

24 March 2015
I have a recently got my national police check - shocked to find a cannabis drugs possession charge from 1997 for $75.00. I am/was applying to register as a professional counsellor. Will it affect my registration as a health professional? Can I get it spent? Is there anything I can do?

Ivy

10 February 2015
Hi there,

I'm not across the criminal law, particularly in SA, so hopefully someone else on here can give you a more definite answer. However, I did have a look at the criminal record laws in SA and from my reading, it looks as though your conviction may be spent. If this is the case, it wouldn't/ shouldn't show up on a police check anymore. However under the exclusions to spent convictions, some agencies are still able to access the spent convictions. Have a look here: Criminal records

Also, is there a peak body that you need to register with before practicing as a counsellor? If so, you should look up their admission guidelines and see what it says about applicants with a criminal record for a minor offence.

Reactions: stylewalls

stylewalls

24 March 2015
Thank you so much. I might apply for a spent conviction anyhow. Got nothing to lose. Yeah there is a peak body of christians…lol.. They wont like it. Discrimination is a real b***h … Hypocrisy is alive and well here in SA