Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised and confidential legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

SA Old Drugs Possession Charge on Police Check - Impact on Career?

Discussion in 'Criminal Law Forum' started by stylewalls, 24 March 2015.

1. stylewalls

stylewalls Member

I have a recently got my national police check - shocked to find a cannabis drugs possession charge from 1997 for $75.00. I am/was applying to register as a professional counsellor. Will it affect my registration as a health professional? Can I get it spent? Is there anything I can do?

2. Ivy

Ivy Well-Known Member

Hi there,

I'm not across the criminal law, particularly in SA, so hopefully someone else on here can give you a more definite answer. However, I did have a look at the criminal record laws in SA and from my reading, it looks as though your conviction may be spent. If this is the case, it wouldn't/ shouldn't show up on a police check anymore. However under the exclusions to spent convictions, some agencies are still able to access the spent convictions. Have a look here: Criminal records

Also, is there a peak body that you need to register with before practicing as a counsellor? If so, you should look up their admission guidelines and see what it says about applicants with a criminal record for a minor offence.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    stylewalls likes this.
  3. stylewalls

stylewalls Member

Thank you so much. I might apply for a spent conviction anyhow. Got nothing to lose. Yeah there is a peak body of christians…lol.. They wont like it. Discrimination is a real b***h … Hypocrisy is alive and well here in SA