NSW National Police Check - Convictions Classed as Spent Convictions?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Joe Coles

19 August 2015
Hi everyone

Just wanted to ask a couple of questions in regards to a National Police Check. I was charged with a few offences about 14 years ago when I was young and stupid and have applied for a job with the Department of Justice. I had to consent to a National Police Check and a question that I was asked was, "do I have any charges other than spent convictions?". I answered no as it has been over 10 years, I have no fraud charges or charges from a government department, or sexual offences but have a few assaults, trespassing and other petty stuff. I have a breach of AVO and am also paying victims of crime compensation (all relating to charges about 13 -14 years ago).

Will these things show up on my National Police Check, and are they classed as spent convictions? When applying for the position it only asked have I been charged with an offence within the last 5 years?

Please help and thank you in advance

Worldly1

25 April 2014
Australia

Joe Coles

19 August 2015
Thank you very much , I have looked up spent convictions on the net previously but some information seems to differ from others, good to get some input from someone that knows, thanks again