LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

NSW National Police Check - Convictions Classed as Spent Convictions?

Discussion in 'Criminal Law Forum' started by Joe Coles, 19 August 2015.

1. Joe Coles

Joe Coles Member

Hi everyone

Just wanted to ask a couple of questions in regards to a National Police Check. I was charged with a few offences about 14 years ago when I was young and stupid and have applied for a job with the Department of Justice. I had to consent to a National Police Check and a question that I was asked was, "do I have any charges other than spent convictions?". I answered no as it has been over 10 years, I have no fraud charges or charges from a government department, or sexual offences but have a few assaults, trespassing and other petty stuff. I have a breach of AVO and am also paying victims of crime compensation (all relating to charges about 13 -14 years ago).

Will these things show up on my National Police Check, and are they classed as spent convictions? When applying for the position it only asked have I been charged with an offence within the last 5 years?

Please help and thank you in advance

2. Worldly1

Worldly1 Well-Known Member

3. Joe Coles

Joe Coles Member

Thank you very much , I have looked up spent convictions on the net previously but some information seems to differ from others, good to get some input from someone that knows, thanks again