VIC My Deceased Partner's Ex-wife Wants Fridge Bought on Credit Card

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jenlee

8 January 2015
Back in November, my partner and I bought a fridge with his credit card. He passed away in December and his ex wife changed all of his passwords including the credit card, so I couldn't pay the debt. As she was the executor of the will and sole beneficiary of his deceased estate, she has acquired this debt. I have the fridge. Am I required to give it back to her?

hlly

12 August 2014
A few questions
-Where did you, the ex-wife and your partner all live when he passed away?
-Assuming you lived with your partner, how (if at all) did you own or occupy your residence?
-How has the will disposed of that residence (if at all)?
-Where are you living now?
-How was the fridge attached to the residence?
-Did you use the fridge?
-How did you and your partner manage your money? Separately or jointly?

Jenlee

8 January 2015
A few questions
-Where did you, the ex-wife and your partner all live when he passed away?
-Assuming you lived with your partner, how (if at all) did you own or occupy your residence?
-How has the will disposed of that residence (if at all)?
-Where are you living now?
-How was the fridge attached to the residence?
-Did you use the fridge?
-How did you and your partner manage your money? Separately or jointly?

My partner and I lived in a rental property and his ex wife lived in their family home. We had only lived together for a few weeks before he died. We had a joint account and yes, we did use the fridge.

hlly

12 August 2014
I suspect, on the whole, that the fridge is yours. However it's a bit of a complicated problem. The question will be whether the fridge was yours (in common with your partner) even before he passed away, in which case it will revert to you. The debt you referred to will be paid from his estate, but it is wrong to say that it is now his ex-wife's debt. In any case, I doubt whether that would change things.

Jenlee

8 January 2015
How do I find the answer to that question then? (Whether the fridge was mine in common with my partner before he passed away)

hlly

12 August 2014
Did your husband buy the fridge for himself or did you buy it together?

Jenlee

8 January 2015
We shopped for it together, we bought it together, we bought it for our home, for our use.