QLD Mazda CX-9 AWD 2008-2015 Design Defect - Obligations

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

ionyssamazda

3 March 2021
Hi Kleva2, ours is a 2013. The issue applies to all the 2009 to 2015 AWD variants. My researched showed that this series was outsourced to Ford to design and manufacturer (with Mazda oversight) and re-branded Mazda. The Transfer Case in particular is completely not fit for purpose (hence why it fails Australian Consumer Law guarantees), a) the oil content is too low for a vehicle of this weight, b) there is no top cap to allow easy oil replacement, c) the Transfer Case doesn't appear on the manufacturers Service Schedule, d) the position of the transfer case in the vehicle is near the exhaust pipes which increases the operating temperature and reduces longevity.

Kleva2

23 May 2021
So I feel like I’ve just thrown our vehicle in the bin :( I was told by the Mazda dealership in Adelaide that there was no fix that would include Mazda Australia’s involvement. For me to repair i would have to replace the whole lot, transfer case, transmission, all of it - anywhere between $15-$30k
Car is a 2009 and if I’m working condition worth $8k as a trade in so we decided it was worthless.

I feel so let down my Mazda and won’t be buying another one.

jmacd

16 August 2021
Another victim here with a 2010 CX-9 with a busted transfer case. Surely there must be a lawyer in AU ready to take this class action on.

paul007

3 October 2021
Same thing here, having the same issues with the transfer case leaking oil ... got told the same story from Mazda dealer that needs replacing (as it cannot be serviced), and at the same time the splines need to be checked. Up to $19k if has damaged gearbox.
Have contacted Mazda Australia and explained all the details that this started at around 88k mileage (vehicle was just over 6 years old at the time), but they proceeded to waste my time and in the end tell me they can't do anything.

The ACCC path might be the way to go, as the product has a major design fault (failures) which is being ignored by the manufacturer (it sounds like this is common for these models).
Might also be able to go after the dealer that sold this, as they are also obliged to call out these issues.

Found this article from ACCC:

See Table 2 (page 24) - Major and Minor Failures
Major failures - These cannot be fixed or are too difficult to fix within a reasonable time. A failure is major if:
• a reasonable consumer who was fully aware of the nature and extent of the failure would not have bought the vehicle, part or service, or
• the failure prevents the consumer from using the vehicle, part or service for the purpose that vehicles, parts or services of that kind are commonly supplied for (or for a purpose they disclosed to the supplier before purchasing), and it cannot be fixed within a reasonable time, or
• the vehicle, part or service is unsafe or creates an unsafe situation.

Kez85

29 June 2022
Hi, I have a Mazda CX 9 2009 model. The transfer case is failing. I have stopped driving it.
I'm stuck on what to do.
How has everyone else dealt with this?
Thanks

Lee310

15 August 2022
Hi everybody,

Please read as I think I have found a way to get a positive outcome for everybody who is experiencing this issue. But we need numbers to have a voice!!

I too have the same issue with my 2011 CX-9 despite taking it in while under warranty as the transmission was behaving strangely (a case of every time I took it in it didn't show off the strange sounds). I recently parked it up after receiving a rough estimate of $6000-7000 to repair while deciding what to do and this is what I'm doing...

I have lodged a complaint against Mazda with a company here in Australia that has been taking on some big car companies and getting results for customers. They are called Handle My Complaint and were showcased on A Current Affair about a month ago.

They can see there is a definite issue here and if more people lodge complaints with them about the same issue, there is hope that we can get free repairs or refunds on money spent and even potentially a class action if there are enough people with the same problem.

Sooo....

If you are experiencing the same problem, please lodge your complaint here: https://resolve.handlemycomplaint.com.au
Select Automotive, New or Used vehicle (depending on if you bought it new or used), Manufacturer, Service/repairs
Then select Transfer case and any other issues that apply. Nominate Mazda as the organisation

There is no stress involved in tackling the issue this way. There's no cost involved and you don't have to deal directly with Mazda as Handle My Complaint act as the go between, literally 'handling the complaint' for you.

So there's nothing to lose and everything to gain. Please jump on the website and lodge a complaint and hopefully we can all get some results!

Reactions: venice01 and Floyd1

venice01

23 August 2022
I too have just found out the oil leak of my 2013 CX 9 Mazda requires new transfer case and maybe more. I have only had it 18 months
It does not have a tow bar and has Parelli tyres which I have just replacedall of them and had itserviced regularly since I purchased.
To sell I would loose $10,000 and I would not sell privately.

I too have been told $3500 plus labour.
What do you do?
Hi Karen, not sure if you can still read this but you can lodge a complaint with Handle My Complaint. They'll help you challenge Mazda's decision not to cover the cost--that is if it's a manufacturer's fault (which I believe it is, we just have to prove it).

venice01

23 August 2022
Hi everybody,

Please read as I think I have found a way to get a positive outcome for everybody who is experiencing this issue. But we need numbers to have a voice!!

I too have the same issue with my 2011 CX-9 despite taking it in while under warranty as the transmission was behaving strangely (a case of every time I took it in it didn't show off the strange sounds). I recently parked it up after receiving a rough estimate of $6000-7000 to repair while deciding what to do and this is what I'm doing...

I have lodged a complaint against Mazda with a company here in Australia that has been taking on some big car companies and getting results for customers. They are called Handle My Complaint and were showcased on A Current Affair about a month ago.

They can see there is a definite issue here and if more people lodge complaints with them about the same issue, there is hope that we can get free repairs or refunds on money spent and even potentially a class action if there are enough people with the same problem.

Sooo....

If you are experiencing the same problem, please lodge your complaint here: https://resolve.handlemycomplaint.com.au
Select Automotive, New or Used vehicle (depending on if you bought it new or used), Manufacturer, Service/repairs
Then select Transfer case and any other issues that apply. Nominate Mazda as the organisation

There is no stress involved in tackling the issue this way. There's no cost involved and you don't have to deal directly with Mazda as Handle My Complaint act as the go between, literally 'handling the complaint' for you.

So there's nothing to lose and everything to gain. Please jump on the website and lodge a complaint and hopefully we can all get some results!
Thank you!