VIC Legal Aid Victoria Refused - Community Correction Order Breaches and Facing Jail?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Lisa4444

4 July 2015
Legal Aid Victoria has refused funding because there are 6 traffic offences although there are 2 Community Correction Order (CCO) breaches and facing possible jail time.

What are the next steps since legal aid isn't available?

Ivy

10 February 2015
When Legal Aid refused to represent you, did they provide you with other legal representation options?
If not, give them a call and ask them to provide you with a list of places you can call.

Secondly, you have the right to a fair trial and generally this includes the right of legal representation, particularly where penalties include imprisonment. So you can apply for an adjournment if your hearing is coming up and you haven't been able to secure representation yet.

Lisa4444

4 July 2015
No they didn't. And even if it get adjourned again financially how if I'm going to be in the same boat :(

ixmexda

4 August 2015
Are the traffic offences something you can be imprisoned for ?

From memory, my cco says that i cant commit further offences that i can be imprisoned for.
ie, i drove while licence was suspended due to infringment act ( sherriff suspension ) and maximum sentence is 10 penalty units. i plead guilty but it didnt affect further offences part of my cco so it isn't a breech.

Community legal drop in services might be able to help, and i think that the duty lawyer at court still is required to assist even when you arent eligible for legal aid.