Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

NSW Left Outstanding Debt in Australia - What Happens When I Return?

Discussion in 'Debt and Bankruptcy Law Forum' started by Cat13, 5 January 2016.

1. Cat13

Cat13 Member

I have approx $20K CC debt outstanding. I left Australia a couple of years ago and haven't been back since. I was contacted by an agency for about 8K and have been paying that off.

It looks like I might have to return to Australia for a few days for a business meeting and I wanted to know what to expect? As I still owe at least 12K and haven't been contacted for over 18 months. Will I be arrested at the airport? If they have made me bankrupt, will I be able to leave again?

I fully intend to repay everything but too much credit and losing a job put me in a bad place I'm trying to get out of but I'm worried about this new job and the possible impact of my return.

2. CathL

CathL Well-Known Member

Hi Cat,

How did you go with this? If you were paying the debt off on a payment plan, then hopefully that should have been fine.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...