NSW Can't pay debt from abroad - bankruptcy?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

The_Alpine

10 May 2019
I've accumulated debt on credit cards and a personal loan. An unplanned incident caused the debt to grow from $32k to $50 a few months ago. The repayments have been fairly aggressive. I was putting a 1/3 of my income against debt and I could have payed off in about 2 years. Our budget was very tight.

The problem is it has put us into the situation that I wasn't able to pay for my partners and my daughters immigration visa. They where here on a tourist visa prior. They had to leave the country and I became very depressed being alone at home having no idea how to bring up A$8k for their visa to unite the family. I wasn't able to work for some periods due to the depressions.

I called the banks and CC companies and tried to find a solution with them. They offered some short term hardship support, but it wouldn't have been enough. It would have been a year until I would have been able to be with my daughter again. I didn't qualify for a debt agreement because I was earning above the threshold.

So I quit my job sold the car ($3k) and left Australia for the Philippines to be with my daughter. With dual citizenship I can stay and work in the Philippines. I have no other assets in Australia. Her family has businesses in the Phillis and I have a job but it only pays me $800 equivalent. There is no way I can pay the creditors and I'm about to inform them. I don't know what my options are at this point. Any payments I'm able to make from here are below minimum payment. I read up on debt agreements and bankruptcy. Filing bankruptcy is only possible from within Australia. My credit history will be affected, which I own if that is the price to be with my family.

Any information or suggestion is greatly appreciated.

SnowmanROK

10 March 2019
If you have no assets, then it doesn't sound like you have much to worry about - just let it take its course?

Nighthelyn

24 September 2014
Sydney
Dear The_Alpine,

If you are out of Australia and does not intend to return, then I agree with SnowmanROK.

Please be aware however if you have any design in future to come back to Australia with your family, being an undischarged or discharged bankrupt would affect your family, immigration wise.

Good luck.