NT Outstanding Debt to Phone Company - Can We Return to Australia?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Lidewij

21 February 2017
Hi there,

I was in Australia about 3 years ago. When I left I had two continuing plans from phone companies. For one plan the phone got stolen, as I also reported the phone company. However, this bill is still outstanding. The other plan has also never been paid and gone up to an amount that I will not be able to pay back any time soon. I'm now putting all the effort in at least paying back the first phone bill. I'd have paid this off end of May.

Question is, my current boyfriend is from Australia and we would like to go back for a holiday, and after another year to go live there. How will this be influenced by my outstanding payment? Will I be able to get into the country due to the debt? Will I be able to get another plan/simcard from a phone company? Very stressed about this at the moment.

Hope you can give me an answer.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
There's no bar on you returning to the country, as the phone bills are a 'civil' matter only. What may predominantly affect you is either (or both) of two things:

(a) the phone company has made a default listing against your credit file(s). These listings remain for five years and can affect your ability to get further credit. If the listings are ungraded to serious credit infringements because they were not able to contact you (very possible), the listing remains for 7 years;

(b) if they manage to find you, they can take out court proceedings against you to recover the debt.