QLD Left House in Will - Share of Upkeep?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

tom clarke

27 May 2015
HI,if Tom and Gerry were left a house in a will 50% share each and Gerry is living in the house does gerry pay Tom 50% of the going rental price in the area and then is Tom to pay 50% of the rates, insurance and upkeep of the property?

I am in a rural area in Qld so getting legal advice is hard so ... Does anyone know the law concerning the legal requirements of 2 people that receive a 50% share each of a house in a will, one of the two lives in the house does he have to pay 50% of the going rent in the area to the other party and then the other shareholder pay 50% of the rates, water, insurance and upkeep? Hope I can get an answer to this its turning into nastiness.

tom clarke

27 May 2015
Hi,I am in a rural area and have no access to legal help in regards to this question, two people are left 50% share of a house in a will,one of the 2 people now lives in the house .Do the ones living in the house pay 50% of the going rate of rent in the area to the other shareholder and then the other shareholder pay 50% of the rates,water insurance and upkeep of the house etc? this problem is starting to get a bit nasty so if anyone can advise me it would help.Thanks