LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

QLD Property Law - Sister Demanding Her Share of the House?

Discussion in 'Property Law Forum' started by alfie edward, 17 February 2016.

Tags:
  1. alfie edward

alfie edward Member

32 years ago, our mother's house was signed over to me with the consent of my sister and brother. We had been living in it for about 8 years, paying rent.

My mother died because of ill health and I sold the house 2 years ago.

Yesterday my sister rang me up and said, "I'm broke. I want money". I said I didn't have any to spare and then she proceeded to demand her share of the sale of the house. Her name was not on any paperwork, she never paid a cent towards upkeep, rates, etc. Under Property Law, I can't see how she think she is entitled to any money. Or is this wishful thinking on her part cause she needs money?

Thank you.

2. Rod

Rod Well-Known Member

How long ago did your mother die, and what did her will say about the house?

alfie edward likes this.
  3. alfie edward

alfie edward Member

Hi Rod,
    Mum died 32 yrs ago, the house was left to the four of us. It was signed over to me 32yrs ago.

4. Rod

Rod Well-Known Member

Need to know under what terms the house was signed over to you from your siblings and whether the executors fulfilled all their duties according to the will.

Someone else here can comment on the fact that the signing over happened 32 yrs ago. Not sure if the statute of limitations comes into play.