NSW Keeping grandfather in nursing home

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

m1ssjess89

7 August 2017
Currently my grandfather has stage 1 dementia. He is in a nursing home having respite whilst my parents build a granny flat for my grandmother and grandfather to move into. He will be able to have home care etc. I have just learnt that my mother is trying to seek legal action to keep him in the nursing home. She is power of attorney over him.

Is there any way legally that I can contest her keeping him in there? I feel he shouldn't be put into a nursing home. He certainly does not want it!

AllForHer

23 July 2014
This isn't really a family law matter, but the New South Wales Public Guardian should be able to provide you with some assistance. The Public Guardian is a government office designated to protect the rights and interests of people with disabilities, so they will most certainly be your best source of guidance at this stage. Their website is here: Public Guardian

m1ssjess89

7 August 2017
This isn't really a family law matter, but the New South Wales Public Guardian should be able to provide you with some assistance. The Public Guardian is a government office designated to protect the rights and interests of people with disabilities, so they will most certainly be your best source of guidance at this stage. Their website is here: Public Guardian

Sorry I wasn't sure where to put this post. Thank you so much for your help!