QLD Joint bank account after the divorce

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

nancy324

9 July 2020
I have been divorced two months ago and before separation, that is three years ago, my ex and I have opened a joint bank account in which now only my savings are there. After separation, he requested me to sign the withdrawal form as he needs money and taken off his savings out. Now, even when I am requesting multiple times, he is not agreeing to sign.

This joint account is under "two-to-sign" for any withdrawal and as per the bank's protocol, both should sign and submit a form, and then only that option can be removed or my money can get transferred to my personal savings account. unfortunately, my ex-husband is reluctant to sign and wants me to hold back getting that money even after the divorce.

Currently, the matter is under the financial settlement in court and it is proceeding to the judge after failing mediation. So, it can take longer for the settlement. However, I am currently overseas and I need this money to pay my son's college fees. Kindly help me with an official way for getting back my savings for my kid's education and I do not want to let my ex-husband still control my finances after divorce. Thanks in advance.

Regards!

Reactions: saradanyal94

sammy01

27 September 2015
are there any other assets that need dividing?
Look without his consent OR a court order you have nothing... Sorry for your situation.

nancy324

9 July 2020
are there any other assets that need dividing?
Look without his consent OR a court order you have nothing... Sorry for your situation.

Thanks for the reply. There are other assets that are in court for settlement. However, this one I want all is my savings which is there still I am not able to make use for my kid.
Kindly let me know how to get a court order to get my money back?

Regards!