NSW New partner, joint bank account, ex wife?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Been2Trial

12 July 2017
Hi,
I have been with a new partner for about 3 years now, we are thinking of getting a joint sign bank account to deposit some savings in on a weekly or so basis, with the intention of saving.

My ex has a track history of trying to get her hands on money and if there is a way, there is a willingness by her to attempt a grab at it.

Before my current partner and I set up this account, we would like to know if having a savings account can be accessed etc by CSA, lay foundation for any future claims by ex or be problematic to us in any way ongoing now, or are we past this now and able to move on without the risk of another cash grab?

Atticus

6 February 2019
we would like to know if having a savings account can be accessed etc by CSA, lay foundation for any future claims by ex or be problematic to us in any way ongoing now, or are we past this now and able to move on without the risk of another cash grab?

CSA can only access an account in the sole name of the payer, so if the account is set up in joint names, no problem there..

As for possible future claims, that will depend amongst other things, on whether you had finalised properly orders, what assets you had acquired together & current circumstances, so a bit more info is needed on that front to give a more informed answer...

Also

Are you divorced?> How long ?
Were you de facto? If so I assume you have been separated for a minimum of 2 years?

Hanna jaye

15 March 2019
Hi,
I have been with a new partner for about 3 years now, we are thinking of getting a joint sign bank account to deposit some savings in on a weekly or so basis, with the intention of saving.

My ex has a track history of trying to get her hands on money and if there is a way, there is a willingness by her to attempt a grab at it.

Before my current partner and I set up this account, we would like to know if having a savings account can be accessed etc by CSA, lay foundation for any future claims by ex or be problematic to us in any way ongoing now, or are we past this now and able to move on without the risk of another cash grab?

The legislation states they cant access a joint bank account BUT its overridden in cases of financial avoidance and hidden incomes. If your doing right financially by your child/ren then you have nothing to worry about.