QLD Is this a scam? What should I do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Marie2018

11 March 2018
Hi,

Thanks for reading.

My name is Marie, last year I commenced employment at a bridal company, I was there for approximately three months. Then I left as the workplace was toxic. About a month ago I received a call from the manager (Directors ex partner) that apparently charges were made to their credit card that I had apparently made to another brand via Facebook and also some website where you buy stock photos and things. I was confused and shocked at their allegations so I asked for proof. To which they sent me an excel spreadsheet with apparent transactions on it. I said that their proof wasn't good enough and I'd need real proof, so they sent me one PDF document that was apparently an invoice. Again the PDF could have easily been edited. I had not made any charges to their credit card, I never had access to their card details but they are still continuing to harass me for payment. Keep in mind this company has a list of other companies chasing them for payment and are behind in employee super contributions etc. So I'm confused about what I should do, do I need to hire a solicitor? Report it to the police?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
If you did nothing, do nothing till they send some kind of demand letter.

If you did nothing and you get a demand letter see a solicitor who can prepare a response.

Clancy

6 April 2016
I would have thought a credit card fraud would be a police matter?

The employer should not be harassing you after you have told them you did not do it. Just tell them to refer the matter to police, and if they keep talking you just keep repeating the same thing - "refer the matter to police", repeat as many times until they get the message and stop harassing you.