SA Lux Style Scam on Facebook - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

DeZBiE

3 February 2017
Hi there,

I have been sent some items from Lux Style International that I viewed but didn't buy through a Facebook post. To have a look at their products, you have to register with your address (now I know why!).

Just before Christmas, I received the first product which confused me as I know I didn't go ahead with the purchase. I was going to get in contact with them after the holidays as I assumed they wouldn't be open and I was busy with family and friends, naturally. Anyway, not long after the holidays I received an email saying that I have late fees and need to pay immediately.

I emailed back that I don't remember ordering them and wish to return them and they said it was too late as I had missed their 14-day return period. (Surely if you did not order the product and have not opened or used them, any company would be happy to receive them back).

They told me the only way I could return them was if I had used them and was not satisfied but I had to do this within 90-days. It seems like a scam to me as it makes no sense what-so-ever. Then I received another item and that is when I knew that I definitely didn't order the first one as I know for a fact I did not order the second item. (I always pay online first anyway if I purchase something).

So apparently, I can return them and not be liable for payment if I use them?

I am worried that if I do use them then they will come back and say that I have to pay because I have used them and go back on their word. It is completely ridiculous. They are emailing me still threatening debt-collectors.

What should I do? Also, why should I pay to return them if I didn't even order them?

Reactions: Roesco and cristina

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi DeZBiE, I would send them a formal letter / email advising them to cease sending items immediately. In addition, I would advise them that you will not be keeping the other items and if they would like them returned to provide return paid postage bags.

Check the terms and conditions of their page but you didn't select a product and even if it was a buyers club type setup the would normally provide returned postage satchels. It sounds dodgy.

7 March 2017
I am a similar position to some other people that have posted on here. I had a look on Facebook I think at a mascara advertisement. I did not order one. I received one which I haven't opened and did not order. I have been receiving invoices and added penalties for the last few months.

This is obviously a scam. We have contacted Lux and offered to return the product if they give us a return postage number. They continue to send me accounts.

I am prepared to defend myself in the small claims court if necessary, as we consumers need to stop this practice.

Bobbi47

15 October 2017
What has happened since? I'm in the same position but now have a collection agency sending letters io international collections. Not sure whether I should be worried or not. Unsolicited goods don't need to be paid for according to Aussie Consumer Law and we are not obligated to return it unless they pay for it and do it within 3 months.

IO international collections ignored the link I sent them from ACCC about Lux Style and their dirty practices.

cristina

25 October 2017
It happen the same to me. I already sent the product back at my own costs, and kept receiving invoices. I even email them a photo of the receipt from the post office, they email me back that they received. But because was after their 14 days policy, I still have to pay something I returned! That I did not even ordered!!

Now I received a final notice to pay CAN $70, and they advised in the letter to act immediately paying that amount to prevent a lawsuit. I don't want any problem. Even if I suspected that this is a scam, I went to the bank to make this payment. At the bank, they said this letter is wear, and I just told them I rather pay then have problems in the future.

So the lady went ahead with the payment, but something is wrong, the bank information to make a global transfer is not valid. Then, she asked me where exactly we are sending the money? Is it to Finland to Denmark or to Hong Kong? Because this letter of final notice is suppose to be from Hong Kong, from a department of conflict resolution or whatever...

Well we tried by wire transfer but the same doubt, where to? So, at the end, she told she can make the wire transfer, but we need to know where to send them. The stupid thing is that if I make a wire transfer I'll be charged CAN $30. If I do a global transfer that is free of fees, I am unable to send just the $70 because the minimum is $100!

I emailed Luxstyle and asked for a phone number because I needed to know where to make the wire transfer, and their answer was

ªHello Cristina,

We are a company based out of Denmark that serves many other countries in Europe, North and South America, Africa, and Asia. Unfortunately, because of our international reach, we do not provide customer support over the telephone.ª

I really don't know what to do. What should I do?

Bobbi47

15 October 2017
I am calling their bluff. I don't believe the collection company is legit. I am not paying a cent to lux style. I'll go to court if i have to. Australian Consumer Law protects us and unsolicited goods do not need to be paid for. Its up to them to pay the postage to retrieve their unsolicited goods. Get some advice from CAB or Consumer Protection. Check out ACCC info about these crooks! Don't give them your money.

cristina

25 October 2017

Thank you for the help. I really think is a scam. I email them the complaints I saw here. I copied and sent them and no answer from any one, either Lux or that IO company. At the bank, they told me that the letter probably was sent by them and it didn't look right...It was a copy...

I'm on stand by...

22 November 2017
Hi there,

I have been sent some items from Lux Style International that I viewed but didn't buy through a Facebook post. To have a look at their products, you have to register with your address (now I know why!).

Just before Christmas, I received the first product which confused me as I know I didn't go ahead with the purchase. I was going to get in contact with them after the holidays as I assumed they wouldn't be open and I was busy with family and friends, naturally. Anyway, not long after the holidays I received an email saying that I have late fees and need to pay immediately.

I emailed back that I don't remember ordering them and wish to return them and they said it was too late as I had missed their 14-day return period. (Surely if you did not order the product and have not opened or used them, any company would be happy to receive them back).

They told me the only way I could return them was if I had used them and was not satisfied but I had to do this within 90-days. It seems like a scam to me as it makes no sense what-so-ever. Then I received another item and that is when I knew that I definitely didn't order the first one as I know for a fact I did not order the second item. (I always pay online first anyway if I purchase something).

So apparently, I can return them and not be liable for payment if I use them?

I am worried that if I do use them then they will come back and say that I have to pay because I have used them and go back on their word. It is completely ridiculous. They are emailing me still threatening debt-collectors.

What should I do? Also, why should I pay to return them if I didn't even order them?

Hello deZBiE, I have had the same problem for over half a year now. Luxstyle send me facemasks I didn't order and have been forcing me to pay for it. As I knew it was a fake I replied to them saying that I didn't order anything, no reply from them.

A couple months later, I got an email from 'IO International Collections'. I Googled them and found out they email you from Hong-Kong and that they are scammers.

I live in the Netherlands so I contacted 'Kassa', which is a company that protects customers and finds out whether companies are reliable or not. Luxstyle is not reliable and IO International Collections is fake. I would recommend you to keep mentioning that you didn't order anything. They will stop sending you emails eventually.

I wish you the very best of luck.

Reactions: Roesco

Bobbi47

15 October 2017
Absolutely agree. Ignore them and they will go away. Scammers. I called their bluff at IO International Collections. Haven't heard from them since.

Roesco

13 December 2017
Hello, exactly like Bobbi47,

I received for a year product that I had not asked at all. I did not know how to stop the matter. I sent them emails, I called by phone and nothing. I still received what I did not want, then I stopped paying three months and they stopped sending me and sent me an invoice for the three products I paid to an account in Denmark, all this on 2, 04, 2017... and now IO International Collections receives a 30 € claim for the delay in the payment of my bill, it's the height of cynicism.

I'm in Belgium and I'll see what I can do, but I will not pay a cent more.