- Australia's #1 Legal Community is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

VIC Is Renting Property Covered by the Australian Consumer Law?

Discussion in 'Australian Consumer Law Forum' started by Rod, 29 October 2015.

  1. Rod

    Rod Well-Known Member

    27 May 2014
    Likes Received:
    Situation: an individual rents out a residential investment property (say one bedroom unit).

    Issue: For the purposes of the Australian Consumer Law or Fair Trading Act Vic, are they engaging in trade or commerce?

    If they are not engaging in trade or commerce, does this mean they are exempt from Australian Consumer Law and Fair trading Act Vic provisions and just have common law (contracts, torts. equity) and Residential Tenancy Act to consider?

    FYI, this is not a homework/study question but relates to a situation that may end up in court and I'm looking at what areas of law I need to cover, or in this instance, can ignore.
  2. JS79

    JS79 Well-Known Member

    2 October 2015
    Likes Received:
    i would think this situation would be covered in the Residential Tenancy Act as it is a residential property.

Share This Page