SA Purchased Car Online - Am I Covered by Australian Consumer Law?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

ceos

1 March 2017
I have bought a car with more than 200 000 kilometers and thus the dealer is saying that there is no warranty. However, aren't I covered by Australian Consumer Law as the vehicle is not as described?

It has faults with the suspension DVD player, GPS system and has a scrape that wasn't described as I bought the car online.

Do I have a case under Australian Consumer Law.

Thanks in advance

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Ceos,

You bought the car from a dealer so you do have Australian Consumer Law guarantees. The vehicle should be as described and of a reasonable quality.

Saying that it has 200,000kms on the clock so you would expect it to not be perfect. But I'm guessing its around a 2007 model so it should be reasonable.

This blog post will give you some information about your ACL guarantees Faulty Second Hand Car? Your Options as a Buyer - Legal Blog - LawAnswers.com.au

S

Sophea

Hi Ceos, I agree with Lance. Further to his comments, if misrepresentations are made about the vehicle this may also constitute a breach under Australian Consumer Law. I would start by sending them a letter of demand for what you are requesting - whether that is repair or refund or whatever. If they refuse, you can take them to your state consumer tribunal or small claims court.

Reactions: Lance