Is my wife conning me here?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

evea8571

16 January 2022
Some background:
My wife bought an apartment just before we started dating, but it was off the plan so she only had to start making mortgage payments after it was built. By the time we got married, it still wasn’t ready. When it was ready, we moved in and from day 1 I have been paying half the fees, body corp fees and mortgage etc for everything. The only “extra” she put in was a $50k deposit at the beginning. It has now been 6 years. The fees per month are $3.2k and because I earn more I pay more into the “pool” percentage wise, so I pay about 60% of everything including this.

Me and my wife have a lot of issues in the marriage and have nearly split up several times. Most of it is due to her manipulating and lying to me. I suspect she is doing it again with what I say next.

She discusses EVERYTHING with me around our finances, or to be more accurate she is always quick to ask for more contributions from me when the need arises.

One of the biggest deceptions she ever did to me (which caused massive problems with us) was lie to me about my name being on the deeds/mortgage of the apartment. Early on, after we got married and after living there for 6 months I said it wasn’t fair for me to continue paying her mortgage (essentially building up her investment) with getting nothing from it (I wasn’t aware at the time how marriage contributions work – I thought she still had full rights to her property), so I asked her to put me on the deeds. She didn’t want to of course because she felt like she’d lose her $60k legally partially to me (again, both of us had no idea how contributions worked at this point), so she (rightly so) wanted to protect her asset. I understood this and from perspective and I’d do the same; I told her this. But then I explained that she has to see my side too. She agreed in the end to add me on the deeds, we signed the paperwork and sent it all off and all was well. I found out only after 4 years by accident that she never sent it off (long story that one). Now, regardless of what I am entitled to is not the point. What is important here is the massive deception she did to me (when things were good!) and how she tried to deceive me (and screw me financially – remember we both thought I had no claim to it at the time). Fast forward to today.

Today the apartment is rented out and we have bought our own house which we live in together. We still jointly pay for the same fees I mentioned above (the rental income does cover it and when we lived there it cost even more obviously). She asked me to bring her laptop down from upstairs today and it was turned on. I noticed she had a file open which was essentially a “building depreciation report”. For those that don’t know, this is a report from a 3rd party which shows you how to make tax claim reductions on your property. We have a joint account where all joint expenses come out of. As I said above, I contribute to every single debt, or if something new is needed for that apartment she asks for money. However, I noticed that this report came out of her own account not the joint one, she did not mention any of it to me and she initially contacted them over a month ago – so she’s had sufficient time to mention it to me. The report says she can claim up to $6k a year back every year, all the documentation is in her name, no mention of me.

To me it looks like she is trying to keep the tax rebates herself. However, there is a small chance I may be wrong, maybe I am not entitled to any of it, legally? I was wondering if someone could give any guidance on this. Even if due to the legality of it I am not entitled to it, she should still tell me of it and plan to give me half of the rebate herself if I’m paying for MORE than half of fees to keep it running.

I know most people her will say to talk to her about it or confront her. But if she is up to no good, she will lie her way out of it like she did with the mortgage deeds. I will bring it up with her, but I want to know where I stand first.

Thanks,

sammy01

27 September 2015
ok, so she is claiming a tax write off on the rental property. She can do that and it is her business because she owns the place and you do not. You are not on the title. I'm guessing after the 4 yrs of lies, she still hasn't added you to the title on the appartment?? So her business - her tax write off. U'm it is the sort of thing you would expect a couple to discuss... But clearly, this marriage has a few problems on that front.

Best investment you can make? a box of condoms.... If you have a child with this chick you're gonna get smashed. I'm brutal.
The good news - you're not on the title? big deal. You still have a claim on the place because you are in a relationship with her. All assets go into the pool when doing asset division, even superanuation.
So I'm hoping you have clear records that show that you've paid for stuff. You have not just handed over cash have you? Have not just transferred $$ to an account without noting what it is for? Look even if you are that dumb, it doesn't matter all that much.

What does matter? have a read Finances and property: Overview | Federal Circuit and Family Court of Australia

Look the other thing you need to know about is 50/50 is not automatic. The duration of the relationship is a factor. BUT on the whole I reckon the legislation is pretty fair...

Ok, so my thoughts - look. Are you flogging a dead horse? Are you happy? gonna live with this chick for the rest of your days? If so. Great - Chill nobody is perfect right. Any rebate she gets she will put into a bank account. If she spends it on shoes, oh well. She's not smoking ice? blowing it on the pokies....
OR - You're flogging a dead horse. Story time. My ex wanted a 50/50 split. Nice and fair. Except her understanding of 50/50 went something like this.... She take the asset half our our joint wealth and I take the debt half... FFS. She had a $150 000 inheritance that became a deposit. BUT I paid all the bills for 7 yrs including paying heaps extra off the mortgage - BUT in her mind, I was only a tennant and she was the land-lord. When it came time for asset division she wanted 105% YUP 105%... ffs... We had 3 young kids....

So after blowing a small fortune on solicitors we settled at about 60/40... She got more because of the initial $150 000.... And she got more because we had 3 young kids. BUT I had about $180 000 in super before I met her and it was acknowledged that I should get to keep a big chunk of my super because that $ was mine and I earned it prior to meeting her.

In short - yup she is conning you. So now you gotta work out is it worth the fight? and is it worth staying with her?

evea8571

16 January 2022
Hi Sammy,
Firstly, thanks for the detailed response. To answer some of your questions or clear some bits up:
Best investment you can make? a box of condoms.... If you have a child with this chick you're gonna get smashed. I'm brutal.
Yes I do, I have a 4 year old.

At the moment I am not interested in the claim to her appartment, I know where I stand with that. I put a lot of money into her apartment so I believe I am entitled to some that tax rebate back - on this I mean, me and her work out it, I know I am not entitled to it legally. I was just asking if anyone could think of any other reason she could be doing it and keeping it from me? So that if I confront her and she has some lies ready I can call her our of them.

Any rebate she gets she will put into a bank account. If she spends it on shoes, oh well.
I think that money should go into our join bank account though so US not her. Again, its also about the fact she is lying and going out of her way to keep it from me which gets me the most.

Except her understanding of 50/50 went something like this.... She take the asset half our our joint wealth and I take the debt half..
You see, that is the type of attitude my wife has as well. I think its a touch of narcissm myself, as any normal person wouldn't think that way. When you are up against that, it is very hard to reason with them...

So I'm hoping you have clear records that show that you've paid for stuff. You have not just handed over cash have you? Have not just transferred $$ to an account without noting what it is for? Look even if you are that dumb, it doesn't matter all that much.
We have a spredsheet with all our joint expenses which comes out of the joint account. In it, it shows how much we each transfer each month to the joint account to pay for these bills. So yes I do, in that form at least. And I have a copy of the spreadsheet when it has changed over the years.

Can you link of any other valid reason she might without this info from me? I don't want to accuse her only to look a fool when she says "Well I didn't because there was no point due to..." and it is valid reason.
thanks,

sammy01

27 September 2015
a valid reason for her hiding the $$$ . NOPE I can't think of any reason for her hiding it. BUT I"M sure she will have a reason that she reckons is valid...
You mentioned you think she is a little bit narcissistic... A sure fire way to make a minor bout of narcissism to break into a fully fledged treatable form of narcissistic rage is to accuse her of something...

Just outa interest is your name on the title yet? have you raised that with her? How did that go?
Final thought - you found evidence that she was exploring a tax break... You don't have evidence that she DID it and has the $$$ in a secret account... You suspect her of something without solid proof. She can deny it then accuse you of not trusting her. How is this going to go for you..

Reactions: Meggsie