QLD Is 10-Year-Old Son Entitled to Ex-Partner's Deceased Estate?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

JenS

9 November 2016
Hello.

My ex-partner of a decade ago recently died and I am wondering if his child, a ten-year-old, is entitled to any assets/ deceased estate/ superannuation, etc?

He did not pay child support or have a relationship with his son. I received a child support exemption due to an AVO and his history of violence and threats against me and my family.

Thank you in advance.

winston wolf

21 April 2014
Adelaide
changefpa.com.au
Most likely.
Obviously how much depends on if there was a will or a new partner or any other children.
Make yourself know a his sons guardian to whoever may be in charge of his estate, if there is any.
If there is a will your son(or his guardian) has a right to a copy.

JenS

9 November 2016
Most likely.
Obviously how much depends on if there was a will or a new partner or any other children.
Make yourself know a his sons guardian to whoever may be in charge of his estate, if there is any.
If there is a will your son(or his guardian) has a right to a copy.

Thank you for your reply.
There are no other children.
He divorced his ex wife earlier this year after a short marriage. She would have had no knowledge of our son.
If there is a will or anyone that he's stated is to receive a portion or everything he has, can I still contest or seek something on behalf of my son?
How will I go about finding out what he left behind?
I don't think my dear son should miss out.

Thank you very much.