WA Irate Client Abuses and Threatens Staff and Records Meeting

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

task

18 May 2015
I recently had an issue in my office which turned quite nasty, a client was seeking cancellation of an insurance policy having received incorrect information from another adviser, the policy was duly cancelled and short termed, the client demanded their return premium and on several occasions during phone calls accused my staff of lying and on one occasion threatened to come into the office , place a lien on office equipment and went further stating they would remover furniture and fittings if they didn't get their money in cash when they called in some three days after the last phone call, I arrived back from an overseas trip last wek with my first full day back at work last Wednesday, on the Thursday ( the date the client was coming in) I cleared the payment with my accounts department early that morning and requested my CFO dealt with this client should I not be in the office (I was attending a funeral) as my staff were some what afraid I might be out.

As it happened, just prior to leaving the office the client came into my office demanding his money and unbeknown to me had a person with him recording myself and my staff, I stated I couldn't discuss his issue as I needed to leave urgently other than to advise him the CFO was arranging to make arrangements to EWT his refund.

My question - do I have any recourse against his threatening behaviour as one of my staff took stress sick leave the following day, and can the client video the meeting and my staff without my permission, my staff being concerned as to how this client will use the video?

Ponala

10 February 2015
Yes he can video or have someone video on his behalf.

He hasn't threatened anyone with harm (going to assault or kill you), his threats are against property and things that could be considered legal to do ie: place liens on property (though taking of the furniture is not legal, but a threat to do that is not against the law)