NSW International Student involved in Car accident

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
13 January 2018
Can someone help me with this car accident situation? I drove the car on the highway and hit the backside of an Hyundai i35 at about 65km/h, the driver not injured at that time . As it was the first time been through this, so I didn't exchange the details but I contacted police immediately and police told me to wait for further info.

After 15 days I moved to new address and after 8 months I received a letter at my previous address through my friend said I need to pay the Insurance company of the other vehicle around $13685.88 which including the whole car repair. The bill is from insurance company of the other driver. The amount, including the vehicle damage, towing fee, car rental of the other driver and some other charged the invoice not clear, my friend not sure about it, but not including the personal injury and the company already ask debt collection company to send letter to me and also asked me to pay the money and they have given me final notice.As I am an International Student and I can not afford to pay this huge amount of $13865.99 and I really don't know how to deal with it and am mentally disturbed.
I need urgent help please!
I shall ever be obliged to you all if you help me as soon as possible!
Regards
Saurabh

Clancy

6 April 2016
First of all you should not panic, its not the end of the world ok? No one is going to come around and break your legs or throw you in jail.

You should ask the insurance company to write off the debt because you are an international student and have no assets and if they refuse, you will be forced to declare bankruptcy and they will get nothing anyway.

However, i do not know exactly how bankruptcy would work for an international student? Or the long term implications?

Here is a fun fact - the average millionaire worldwide goes bankrupt 3.5 times in their life!