VIC Incorrect date in infringement

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

amiripa

4 March 2020
Hi all,

I have received an infringement yesterday (3rd of March) that I passed a red light on 3rd of Feb. First of all, I do not think this delay in sending the notice is usual.

Also, I have checked the online picture, it is definitely my car, but I have not been in that location on 3rd of Feb.

Now my question is how I can claim this mistake at their end? is there anyway I can appeal this fine?

Thanks in advance.

Adam1user

5 January 2018
Hi all,

I have received an infringement yesterday (3rd of March) that I passed a red light on 3rd of Feb. First of all, I do not think this delay in sending the notice is usual.

Also, I have checked the online picture, it is definitely my car, but I have not been in that location on 3rd of Feb.

Now my question is how I can claim this mistake at their end? is there anyway I can appeal this fine?

Thanks in advance.

If it is a clerical error, it would not make the infringement void, the infringement still stands as you have done it, so if they had the wrong date, that does not mean you did not pass through a red light, if you want to fight it you would lose and pay court fees too. The Magistrates/Judges don't go easy on red light, speeding or drink/drug driving. If you are sure that you were not in that area and you did not go through the red light, and have solid proof, then fight it, otherwise, just pay it and move in your life.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
What evidence do you have that your vehicle was elsewhere on the date and time alleged?

sammy01

27 September 2015
U'm it is definately your car?
How can it be an error if it is definately your car?