QLD Infringement notice incorrect

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Dan 117

22 April 2019
Hi,
I accidentally ran a red light in the city that had just turned red ( I was trying to find somewhere to park on the side of the road and not paying full attention)
Anyway a police man pulled me over and gave me the relevant fine. But completely got the car wrong.

I was driving a silver Toyota Camry and he has put down a blue Mitsubishi Lancer with the completely incorrect number plates too. I have no clue who owns or nor have I ever seen the car he has put down.

My question is if I fought the fine would I be successful in overturning it as I was not driving that car at the time of the infringement.
Or what would be my best option for this ?

Thanks dan.

Atticus

6 February 2019
Have they got your name and or license number correct on the notice?

Dan 117

22 April 2019
yes my name and license number is correct on it, but he never asked for any of my details. just copied the details off my license. so i could have given him anyone's license.

Adam1user

5 January 2018
yes my name and license number is correct on it, but he never asked for any of my details. just copied the details off my license. so i could have given him anyone's license.
Clerical errors don't make the infringement void. If you did an infringement, then you did the infringement and you should be pay the infringement, going to court and disputing it, will put you in a bad state, the Magistrate would order a new infringement issued with correct details and you would pay the infringement, the court fees and the cost of attending court.
I am not a lawyer but this is my understanding, if I am wrong, someone should correct me.

Atticus

6 February 2019

As it is your license, the details are correct, and you admit it is you that committed the offense, then I'm afraid you're out of luck...

If you had been incorrectly named in the infringement notice as the alleged offender for the relevant infringement notice offence because of a mistake of fact, then there may have been a chance