SA Traffic Infringement Notice - Fined Excluding Demerit Points?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

winter

29 September 2018
About 2 weeks ago, I have been charged with "Entering the intersection or marked foot crossing against a red traffic light" by two police officer, but I believe I didn't violate at all. I successfully crossed the intersection while last second of yellow light.

Now I got a traffic infringement notice which doesn't have any photographic evidence and only include penalty $280 to pay due to offence of "entering intersection or marked foot crossing against a red traffic light."

There are no demerit points, counted against my licence yet today and moreover, the offence happened two weeks ago. This infringement notice doesn't say anything about demerit points and only mentioned to pay penalty fees.

So, I’m confused do I incur any demerit points after make penalty fees?

If it doesn't deal with any demerit points then I’m ready to pay the penalty, but if it does then should I need to go to the court. Please give me suggestion on that and thanks in advance.

Tony Danos

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
29 November 2016
Victoria
lawtap.com
It should carry 3 points. Upon payment or if you do nothing VicRoads will still allocate the points. If you take it to court then the status quo will remain unless you are found guilty.

winter

29 September 2018
Thank you Tony for your valuable comments.

I forget to mention that I'm from Darwin and incident happened in Darwin. Moreover, Infringement notice doesn't have any photographic evidence.

Reactions: Tony Danos

Adam1user

5 January 2018
I used to live in Darwin back in 1999, and as I recall NT does not have the points system, this may have changed from then. Contact the authority there and find out.
If you have a good driving record (no fines/infringements for the past 10 years and no other problems with the law), you may ask for a review or select to go to court and ask for lenience from the court. Depending on the magistrate and the case put forward, it could be waved or given a lighter fine/infringement.
Good luck.