QLD Improper Interference With A Corpse

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

cupcollector69

5 July 2022
Hello, I have a few questions based on pure curiosity regarding Interference / Improper Interference With A Corpse.

1: What are / are there any differences between federal and state laws regarding this topic? For example; doing a quick Google search I found SECTION 81C CRIMES ACT 1900 and I have also found Sections 236 (b) of the Criminal Code Queensland. Which I assume the former to be Federal and the latter to be State law.

2: Assuming I am correct about the Federal/State laws above; If a person is to be charged with this crime what would make it a Federal crime or a State crime?

3: In SECTION 81C CRIMES ACT 1900 - in layman's terms what specifically constitutes “contrary to the ordinary standards of respectable people in this community”.

4: Are there different laws / charges regarding this topic if a corpse is interfered with sexually or some other way that is not sexual? i.e writing on a corpse, removing clothing, cutting hair, giving a tattoo etc.

5: On the webpage for Sections 236 (b) of the Criminal Code Queensland. under possible defences, it states duress and necessity. What would constitute duress or necessity?

6: I don't know anything about Australia and if court proceedings are public, are there any resources you can refer me to where I can search and read transcripts of real court cases? Or, are there any public cases which involve this subject matter?

Appreciate your time, thank you.

Last edited: