NSW I was hit on the side by a tourist using rental car, she admitted at fault over WhatsApp but cannot be contacted now.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

elsiepps

23 May 2023
Hi all,

Would really appreciate some help here.

I was involved in an accident with a rental vehicle driven by a tourist. We exchanged license and contact details, and also took pictures of the car. She had admitted fault verbally and over WhatsApp, also logged a report with the rental company. However, the rental company hasn’t been responsive and she provided me with the rental company contact details. In the meantime, I also got a quote for the car repairs at $5500.

Please help me and advice me in the following scenarios:
(1) Tourist returns to country and is not contactable, can I make a police report or press charges against her? Will she be charged since she is not Australian?
(2) Can I claim the rental company for repairs if the hirer did not call them to explain she is at fault. Can they pursue or charge the hirer?

Please please if anyone can help advise on the actions that I can take. Please help!