QLD I have a question about my work contract and its relativity

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Loren

14 November 2018
I have been employed for 3 1/2 years for a company and was asked to sign a new contract from FULL TIME to CASUAL and forfeit my entitlements for a higher pay rate.the new contract was not what we agreed on and I did not sign it and was told was told a new won would be drawn up.the day before payday I was handed a piece of paper(not the new contract)and told if i didn't sign it I wouldn't get paid so I signed it, but work place drug testing was made mandated and I returned a positive test to a prohibited drug and was told that I would retain employment but be stood-down without pay due to the amendments made in the new contract were by I'm paid on productivity not just attendance. I rang my boss (not my employer directly) and She confirmed I am still employed but can't come back to work until I can produce a clean drug sample.that was on 10/10/2018,To this day I have not seen nor signed the new contract therefore am i still governed under the old contract and can claim my entitlements?.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Hmm, my first reaction is the employer is doing the wrong thing by standing you down without pay.

Not having seen the bit paper you signed makes it hard to comment on what effect it has on the employment relationship.

Drug tests may be needed from a work safety viewpoint and be part of the contract/award so the testing is unlikely to be an issue but you may need to see a lawyer about your rights.

If it was me I'd be reluctant to move from permanent to casual, and I'd probably want to show any new contract to a lawyer for comment.

You may need to start looking around in a low key way for other work while you still have a job. From what you describe the employer is looking for ways to reduce their workforce at some time in the near future.