NSW Husband Won't Sign Permanent Residency Papers - Options?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
5 October 2015
I'm married to my husband for 3 years. He is an Australian resident. We both are from Bangladesh. After my Temporary Resident Visa was processed, I came to Australia to live with my husband on 9th of June, 2013. After that, I was financially dependent on him. I became a student in TAFE in children's services and continued my study for 5 months on his expense.

During this time, he was very furious and he was feeling very pressured to bear my expenses. We had fights. He had spent nights out many times. He continued his drinking habits as well. I kept continuing one sided communication (email) with my ex over the phone which he didn't know about, out of frustration. One day I was caught by my husband. This matter persisted in our relationship for a long time.

I started my job Dec 2013. Till now I am a full time employee. My in-laws came from Bangladesh and stayed at our house for 6 months on April 2014. Now they are coming from Bangladesh again for 6 months. My husband had to pay every expense as they came here. I paid house rent, and every expense as well.

In between the time my in-laws came and I stayed with my husband, he was very judgmental and furious with me. As I started earning, I stated to him to honour me as individual human. Still he happens to find one flaw that I contacted my ex.

My Permanent Residency papers arrived on May 2014. Till now he does not want to sign my papers thinking that I might leave him. He is continuing to be abusive and overly judgmental about me and my behaviour. Our relationship is deteriorating.

What options do I have to get my Permanent Residency or seek any legal help?

Sometimes my husband and in-laws pressure me to go back to Bangladesh. Every time a fight happens, I have to seek forgiveness to them for my behaviour. I have belittled my life. I'm not allowed to meet my friends, or anybody I like because my husband thinks I might cheat on him.

IsobelB

5 October 2015
Hi Pushpo,

Are the permanent residency papers you refer to papers to apply for a permanent Partner visa?

If so, it may still be possible to get your permanent residency using special rules for people who can establish that they have experienced family violence at the hands of their spouse. These rules means that victims of abuse can qualify for permanent residence even though their relationship with their spouse has broken down.

Reactions: JS79