Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

QLD How to Legally Ensure Son Inherits Unit - Tenants in Common?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by Sharon Pfeffer, 5 August 2015.

  1. Sharon Pfeffer

    4 August 2015
    Likes Received:
    I plan to marry this year. My partner owes over $100,000 in child support. I own my own unit. He has nothing. I want to leave the unit to my only son. How can I do this legally?

    I know I have to change my will when I marry. My partner has not contributed towards the Unit. He pays half rates, body corporate, electricity, etc. Should I make my son Tenants in Common to ensure he inherits the Unit?

    Your help is appreciated.
  2. Sophea

    Sophea Well-Known Member

    16 April 2014
    Likes Received:
    Hi Sharon,

    If you change the title on the unit so that you and your son are Tenants in Common - your share of the unit will pass to whomever you assign it in your will. However if you change title so that you and your son are Joint Tenants - full title will automatically pass to your son if you die. It doesn't even form part of your estate that is distributed by will or rules of intestacy.
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Sharon Pfeffer likes this.

Share This Page