Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

VIC How to Get Items Back from Ex with Intervention Order?

Discussion in 'Property Law Forum' started by Sujones, 9 August 2015.

  1. Sujones

    Sujones Member

    9 August 2015
    Likes Received:
    I have purchased items on eBay and paid with PayPal. I have receipts and photos of items. I have broken up with my boyfriend and my items are at his house (long story). How can I get them back under property law?

    He has been violent in the past (police put a intervention order on him). That was a couple of years ago and I don't live with him anymore, and as crazy I might be we got back together, but now we are finished.

    So that's the background. How do I get my things back?
  2. IsobelB

    IsobelB Active Member

    5 October 2015
    Likes Received:
    Hi Sujones,

    A similar problem was discussed in this thread from last year. I think this part of the answer may be relevant to you:
    1. "Make a list of all the items currently in your ex partner's possession which you would like returned.
    2. Write a letter requesting the return of these items by X date and send to your ex partner (an email should also suffice, or both).
    3. If the negotiations fails with your ex partner's solicitor, you may recover the items at VCAT.
    4. Obtain possession by enforcing a VCAT decision."
    Alternatively, in making an intervention order, a Victorian court may direct a person who has used family violence to return personal property of the victim. This provision may apply to ‘basic personal property such as clothes, cooking equipment, a car.’

    If you think you might need legal representation you can follow this link to get connected to the right lawyer for you.
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...

Share This Page