VIC Property Law - Ex Withholding Things and Apartment Key - Any Recourse?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
26 April 2016
Hi everyone,

I'm not sure this is in the right category so please feel free to point me in the right direction if it's not.

I broke up with my ex and as a result she moved away. She constantly spoke about returning my things when I asked but when it came to her move, she took all of my belongings. She is also withholding my key because since we broke up she has decided I owe her money/.

I had never heard about this until the last week or so and honestly everything she's asking for payment for is not my responsibility. She chose to use her money on it (and it's not like I ever asked her to spend it on me, etc.).

Anyway, I have requested my key so I can cease contact and she has flat out refused and keeps saying it'll be when we see each other next (which I have made clear won't be happening). I am just wondering if legally I have any ground to stand on to get it back under Property Law?

I'm also aware of a lot of fraudulent activity she's engaged in (PayPal, eBay scams) and I'm not sure how to properly report it - emailing PayPal didn't get a response. She openly admits that she'd scam people all the time and never sent the money back and is basically still at large because she's too afraid to be registered on eBay or Paypal, etc. now. And from my understanding it was quite a large sum.

Anyway, would appreciate any and all info/opinion as I really want to get my key back and be done with this. (Changing locks would be more of a costly option as I live in a fairly modern building and the locks don't seem to be run of the mill.)

I really want to confront this issue as soon as possible. Thanks for taking the time to read this.