How Long Can police hold personal Items

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

billy bremner

19 April 2018
hi. I was convicted in Brisbane in August 2017 for supply of methamphetamine. On Tuesday April 17 2018 my home was raided and searched by five Qld police officers. During their search the only thing they found was a bundle of money, $3770 cash, which they took as well as five phones 2 laptops 2 iPads a mini iPad and a samsung tablet. None of these items are stolen and all either given or purchased. They said that they believed one if not all items were stolen or may contain information that could help Police with their enquiries and that they believed that the cash may be from the proceeds of a crime or crimes.
How long can the police hold the items and cash for and what is the procedure for my being able to collect the cash and items. Once again i can show where the computers and phones are from and account for the reason why I had that much cash (is it REALLY that much of a big deal having $3770 cash or do they believe its proceeds due to my conviction in August 2017)

Clancy

6 April 2016
Personally i do not agree with the proceeds of crime legislation because it is inevitably going to cause a huge disparity of penalty between different people for the same crime. It does not fit with having a society where everyone knows the penalty for various crimes. In reality the proceeds of crime should be either directly linked to specific crimes or left to the tax department to deal with.

I doubt you will get any of your things back or your cash. If it was a one off crime, you could try taking copies of your bank statements to police and show where the money came in and where it went out, but, i dunno that would be enough?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
How long can the police hold the items and cash

As long as they like while they are continuing their investigations. Could take 1, 2, 3 years or longer.