QLD How Do I Find Dad's Will?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

GrahamJQ

9 January 2017
Dad died in mid-November 2016, Gold Coast, QLD. I would like to find his will and see what it says.

A decade ago, he gave me enduring power of attorney, (I don't really know anything as to what that does), and now I am lost in space. His de facto is hostile, and I have no idea who the executor of will is or the lawyer.

I need help, please. I have no idea where to find his will, and I am worried about what will become of his estate, and family heirlooms and stuff.

(I am not in QLD, so I can't easily go to a court in Brisbane).

Thank you in advance. I await your good directions.

S

Sophea

As a child of the deceased you have a right to request that the executor provide you with a copy of or allow you to view the will. If you don't know who the executor is, you will need to get a copy of the will through the courts.

This is the only way I can think of, unless you can get the executor's contact details off the defacto. You might need to either make a trip up to Brisbane yourself or engage a law firm to get a copy of the will on your behalf.

This is probably better done sooner rather than later so that you can secure any rights you have etc.