NSW Hospital Holding Mother with Dementia

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

jillofalinda

5 August 2014
A hospital is holding my mother till placement is available. I dont want this i want her home with me i have been her carer for 8-9years. She has dementia. They argue that i cant care for her. I have no guardianship etc. Please help

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi @jillofalinda,
Why has the hospital said that you can no longer care for your mother - Is it because your mother's condition has been assessed as requiring a higher level of care (to support/manage her dementia) than you can provide in the current environment?

jillofalinda

5 August 2014
Hi @jillofalinda,
Why has the hospital said that you can no longer care for your mother - Is it because your mother's condition has been assessed as requiring a higher level of care (to support/manage her dementia) than you can provide in the current environment?
Hi john i think this is the case though i feel its no diffetent to before she went in. Forgive me if i take a long time to answer it means ive stuffed up somewhere as i dont know how to use site properly. Thanks

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi @jillofalinda,
It's difficult to assist further without more information. That said, you may consider contacting the free National Dementia Helpline on 1800 100 500 to better understand options that may be available to you and your mother.

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi @jillofalinda,
To better respond to your question, I would need to know more about why your mother is being held until placement (I assume following an assessment - but don't know how she has been assessed - e.g. high care, low care, etc.) and why there is disagreement about any assessment.

I also strongly encourage you to contact the free National Dementia Helpline.

Hope this helps.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney