VIC Help with a Fair Property Settlement?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jimmy303303303

19 January 2019
Why are you thinking you need to attend mediation? Mediation applies to parenting matters, not property. I suspect you will benefit from getting some early advice.

You can go for mediation, but you should understand how the process works before starting it and what rights you have.

If the ex's lawyer has a set % in mind, and the ex is insisting on following her lawyer's advice, then mediation is a waste of time and money. Much depends on whether your ex is a reasonable person as mediation only works when 1) one person concedes because they can't handle the stress or 2) both parties are reasonable and willing to give a little.

I can also arrange for legal advice if you want to speak with a lawyer :) My email address is on www.vichelp.com.au
Hi. I have taken up this legal advice but have some other questions for anyone else who can help. I have had 2 great offers on my house and can't sell until the caveat is removed. My ex-partner's only claim to a caveatable interest is about 2000 dollars worth of contributions towards a 60000 dollar renovation. Should I challenge this and try to have the caveat removed?