VIC Giving Out Personal Information - Breach of Privacy?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Nickii

29 August 2016
Hi,

Recently I have been served with documents relating to a VCAT hearing I am involved in. In the documents given to me by the other party, there is photocopies of documents my business sent a completely different person 10 years ago regarding a legal matter I was having with them at the time.

The person who I am having to go to VCAT over has heard of the story concerning this other business and went to them and asked for the documents in order to support their own case and this business gave it to them. In the documents it contains my account number, signature, email address and personal illness reasons why I couldn’t continue with their job. Is this against the privacy law?

I feel completely violated and furious that my personal information could be handed out like this and tried to use against me in a case?

Thank you for your time

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Unless the other original business is a large organisation - no.

wrt your current matter you'd ask to have their evidence thrown out as not relevant to the new matter.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Not just big organisations, some business sectors are caught by privacy requirements no matter what their size; such as health and credit provision.

Reactions: Rod