QLD Friend attacked and lack of police action

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

jozen

28 May 2017
I am writing on behalf of a friend of mine who recently was deliberately targeted and stalked whilst on his evening run, and hit by some one driving a car. My friend reported it to the police even finding the car that hit him and showing evidence of the attack.
This person has since repeatedly threatened to " f**k him up" and it is increasingly worrying for my friend who is becoming more and more nervous to leave his home for fear of what might happen. It is affecting his life style significantly .When he told the police about the continuing threats. they just said to him "best stay at home if you are worried then"
The police know about the attack and the continuing threats but continue to refuse to act upon it.
My friend is understandably very shaken, and we cannot comprehend the polices lack of interest in this case as it amounts to grievous bodily harm at best and at worst attempted murder..
Can you please advise how he can get some more effective help on this matter . Before another attack takes place.

Gorodetsky

21 February 2016
Hi jozen,
Being brushed off by the QPS is not unusual and indication you have a useless cop.

This person ought to escalate the complaint to the officer in charge of the local station.

They should take a friend with them.

Knowing the QPS, I'd suggest they take their phone with them. Record the audio starting from inside your car. Do not at any time indicate you are recording. Make sure the screen is black, you've plenty of battery and plenty of space.

If the officer does not do their job, this person can go to the media.

Regards
Gorodetsky

Lance

31 October 2015
I wouldn't be recommending a third party to engage in recording a police interaction without their knowledge. Just be careful, I think you will find it is illegal in QLD for someone who is not a party to a conversation to secretly record it.

Gorodetsky

21 February 2016
Thanks Lance,
Helpful clarity.

Jozen's friend, the victim in this matter ought record his own conversation with police. The friend is just for support, and second opinion. It can be difficult to get the police to take action. A friend can help cut thru the police brush off.

Regards
Gorodetsky