VIC First time being at court, ever.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

garbage

16 March 2020
Victoria
Hi all. I hope I'm posting this in the right forum category.
I have a cross interim intervention order against my ex. We are required to attend a mentions summon in early May.
I've never had to go to court before. So I honestly have no idea what to expect or what will happen on the day. I guess I am just wanting a bit of a layman's explanation of what exactly is going to happen the moment I arrive to court, & what to expect. Who do I speak to? Do i need a lawyer? Do I need to speak to my ex? I'm feeling a bit anxious about it all and seeing my ex there. When I made an application for an IVO against him it was extremely daunting... I guess I just want my anxieties elevated.
Sorry if not an appropriate question.
Thank you all.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Do u have kids with the ex? Are u still living together? Are u happy to call the relationship over? Sorry for the questions but that will inform the answers.

sammy01

27 September 2015
ok so I'm not gonna lie. Cross examination... That puts it in a world beyond punters like me, it is an additional level of compexity. I'll try my best.

The best I can do is suggest you accept without admission. My thinking is:
1. To challenge the thing really needs solicitors, that means $$$
2. Story time. My ex took one of these on me. There was a no contact order. She kept calling me. I wasn't allowed to talk to her because of the avo...I took my phone to the cops and showed them all the calls. They called her and told her to pull her head in. She stopped calling me... GOOD. So accepting without admission doesn't have any real big consequences - If you have a gun licence it does. But employment wise... Not really. So accept without admission ends this nice a quick. IF he wants to challenge his, I really don't think the fact that you have accepted without admission will matter.

There are legal supports for women who are victims of DV. Google them and make some calls to get better advice than you're getting from me.

GlassHalfFull

28 August 2018
I'm not sure it really complicates things that much to have cross application IVOs against each other. Sammy, I assume you don't mean cross examination...?

I agree though that it's probably just best to consent without admission, and he would probably be best to do the same. That way there's no worries of protracted cases and lots of hearings. If you both genuinely don't want to have any contact with each other and you don't have children, it sounds like a no brainer.

Reactions: garbage