Finding Alternate Lawyer - Conflict of Interest?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Oliver D

14 April 2014
When I first needed legal assistance for my legal needs, there were lawyers who would tell me, can I prove it, have you got any evidence, and sorry they are not able to assist me. These lawyers said they were affected by a conflict of interest. I had to keep on seeking lawyers who intentions were to fight for people's rights against a con artist and other criminal representations.

Who can I turn to, or what can I do, as the conflicting lawyers refuse to give me legal assistance? Legal Aid?

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi Oliver D,
Avoiding conflict of interest is a fundamental duty for lawyers. From the Law Society of NSW website on solicitors' duties:
"Your solicitor must not allow their own interests, or the interests of an associate, to conflict with those of a client. A solicitor generally cannot act for you if they have previously provided legal advice to a person you are in dispute with. If you believe that your solicitor may have a conflict you should raise this with them."

If you contact a lawyer and they advise that they have a conflict of interest after a preliminary discussion, you may consider:
  1. Asking the lawyer to refer you to another lawyer that is unlikely to be conflicted; and/or
  2. Searching for other lawyers in the same location (e.g. Sydney) and practice area (e.g. Criminal Law).

Reactions: Oliver D

Oliver D

14 April 2014
Hi John R Thanks for the reply, I realize what you are saying, can you recommend lawfirms i can go to that will fight for my rights.

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi Oliver D,
Which state/city are you presently in?

Reactions: Oliver D

Oliver D

14 April 2014
Hi. I have tried the Law society, yet currently not been able to talk to a solicitor ready to fight for my rights. as they the referrals i got where to busy. I was told to keep on trying though.